Sunday, April 1, 2007

More UnTrollope...

I was laid up last week and guess what? I did NOT read Trollope. I read Hamlet, Revenge! by Michael Innes. This was a very British, literary murder mystery with wonderful Shakespeare references, Hamlet and otherwise. There were many other cultural references - highbrow cultural references - and I had to make a list so I could look everything up all at once. It was enjoyable, rather dated and complicated in the myriad of characters that kept parading on and off the page.

The references I enjoyed the most were not the highbrow ones, sorry to say. I was very tickled by the ever so slightly snide references to Agatha Christie's Poirot. A few of the characters complain about Police Inspector Appleby, and insist that a Real detective would be better, a foreigner. And Appleby makes a pointed reference to his gray cells early on. These little touches amused me so much I had to find out more about Michael Innes, which is a pseudonym for John Innes Mackintosh Stewart, a Scottish scholar and novelist.

In the process of researching Michael Innes, I discovered this amazing web site:

The Library Thing

You can catalog your own library, browse other people's shelves, see what other people are reading that might be to your taste. Very interesting and fun. Enjoy!

No comments: