Saturday, February 17, 2007

Where to Start?

I found my list of the complete works of Anthony Trollope. It's divided into groups. There are the Chronicles of Barsetshire, the Palliser novels, and general novels and other works. I am tempted to start with the Chronicles of Barsetshire, since I have already read The Warden, and it would be familiar territory. I wonder if a biography of Trollope might kick start my reading?

That aside, I am currently reading The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. I had seen the movie years ago, but had never read the novel. It is a beautiful novel. The descriptions are richly detailed, and the characters carefully drawn. The distinctive voice of the narrator, the butler Stevens, is especially rich and deep. After only a few pages, the reader feels that he knows the character of Stevens intimately, and can tell when he is shading the truth, hiding his feelings, or somehow not telling the whole story. Sometimes what Stevens does not say speaks so much louder than what he does say. Reading this novel is a rewarding experience.

My reading time lately has been limited. My husband travels a great deal, and we have three children, ages 9, 6, and almost 3. When he's away I tend to read easy to put down trash, since my time is devoted unceasingly to the kids. My "trash" book while he was away this past week was Timothy's Game by Lawrence Sanders. Enjoyable enough, and easy to put down and pick up again, which is sometimes all I ask for.

No comments: