Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Continuing Intrepid

I am still reading Intrepid's Last Case by William Stevenson. It's a look at the development of the western intelligence agencies after WWII. The Intrepid of the title is William Stephenson, who coordinated intelligence between the British, Canadians and the US during the war, prior to the US' involvement. He was a very interesting figure who saw the cold war developing and had such foresight on the nature of the Soviet threat to the West. Post war history is not my strong point to say the least, so I'm not sure how much of this book I am truly understanding.

I'm looking for recommendations to supplement this foray into post-WWII history. There are some quotes in this book from The Glory and the Dream by William Manchester, so I thought maybe that would be a good place to start. Any other suggesstions would be welcome.

I remembered some other books read this summer:

The View from Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg (kids book), this was super.
Undue Influence by Steve Martini
The Dispossessed by Ursula LeGuin. Futuristic sci-fi with strong social commentary. Obviously written during the cold war, so it's an interesting counterpoint to my current reading.

No comments: