Saturday, November 17, 2007

A Crazy Fall

The fall has been crazy, but I have been doing some reading. Actually, I feel like I've been reading a lot, but the number of volumes is not great. I have read Ilium and Olympos by Dan Simmons, and honestly, I really felt like I accomplished something and learned something.

Dan Simmons is a visionary with the most incredible imagination I have ever come across. If I were a writer, and I do admit, I do aspire to be a writer, I would like to be like Dan Simmons. Perhaps not stylistically or thematically, but I would like to emulate him in his fullness of vision. Every Dan Simmons book I have read is fully realized and complete. From the realistic novels to the futuristic sci-fi, it all rings true and feels real.

The other books I read this fall are So Big by Edna Ferber and The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho. So Big was a fabulous American portrait that reminded me of Willa Cather. I will have to read more Ferber. The Alchemist I have to admit, I did not care for (sorry, Julie). It was a very new agey tale with lots of solopsistic philosophy going on. Not really my thing.

I am trying to find a lighter tale to get me through the holidays - tried a Preston-Child novel but got bogged down with the overwhelming number of characters that everyone but me was obviously already familiar with.

No comments: