Saturday, November 24, 2007

Other titles

Just finished Behind the Curtain by Peter Abrahams, a juvenile mystery set in the imaginary Echo Falls. I read the first of this series, Down the Rabbit Hole and really enjoyed it. His heroine is refreshing and interesting - Ingrid, soccer player and sometime theatrical player with a passion for Sherlock Holmes. I love it! (sounds an awful lot like me!)

I also read The Train Now Departing by Martha Grimes - her web site is www.marthagrimes.com. I really enjoyed it. It was a nice departure from her Richard Jury detective novels. The Train Now Departing is 2 novellas linked thematically. Each has a desperately lonely woman ("of a certain age" as they used to say) as the main character. Each novella is finely focused and relentless in its pursuit of the source of each woman's desperation. Well worth reading and a good example of a novella.

No comments: